saffron walden town library society
Saffron Walden Town Library Society founded 1832
- Annual subscription £5.00
- About 150 members of the Town Library Society
The Saffron Walden Literary and Scientific Institute was founded in 1832, and moved to its current premises in 1851. In 1967, Essex County Council became trustees and the collection was renamed Saffron Walden Town Library.
There are some 25,000 pre-1950 volumes, including long runs of nineteenth-century journals. Topography, local studies, the English Civil War, natural history, biography, travel and exploration are all well represented subjects. Current acquisitions reinforce the strengths of the historic collection and facilitate its use as a Victorian Studies Centre. There is an author-entry card catalogue and recent acquisitions are added to Essex County Council's computerised catalogue.
Mid-nineteenth-century grade II listed building (shared with the public library).
Registered charity no. 310665