the portico library
The Portico Library founded 1806
The Portico Library and Newsroom was opened in 1806 following a decision taken by a group of Manchester businessmen in 1803 who were inspired by Thomas Harrison's Liverpool Lyceum. Former members include John Dalton, Peter Roget, Robert Peel and the Rev. William Gaskell, husband of the more famous Elizabeth.
There is a permanent stock of approximately 25,000 books, most of which were published in the nineteenth century and a good temporary stock of recent publications, as well as with newspapers and periodicals. The Library's archives consist of committee receipts, minute books, some correspondence from 1896 onwards and issue books from 1850 to the beginning of the 20th century: they include detailed statistics kept by the librarians over the period 1850 to 1900. Issue books have also been kept since 1996
Grade II* listed building designed by Thomas Harrison of Chester; the Library occupies the first floor and the ground floor is let to Mitchells and Butler, Estate Managers for Bass Breweries
Portico Library and Newsroom Ltd Charity no. 1143639